We have received LOADS of requests for a Dinosaur Lesson Plan! Keep sending your ideas to us via our Facebook Group and our Facebook Page, because we love putting together special requests! We have compiled tons of fun dinosaur STEM projects like making fizzy dino eggs, dino bones, fossils and even a coding dino games for our older kids. Plus, we have loads of free dinosaur worksheets to practice math, reading and writing. There are even recipes for dino hardboiled eggs, a digging for fossils cake and the most incredible dinosaur art project (complete with a sunset background!).
🧪 Dinosaur STEM Science Experiments
There are tons of great dino science experiments to choose from!
- DIY hatching, fizzy dinosaur eggs are so fun! All you need are mini dinosaurs, baking soda, food coloring and oral syringes (save one when your kid’s finish their liquid medicine!!!). Here is how you do it. Insider tip: if you have leftover plastic Easter eggs, I hear that they are perfect for molding your dino eggs!
- Make a moving, functioning dinosaur finger out of cardboard and straws. This is the perfect dino experiment for the tinkerer in your house!!!
- Homemade dinosaur bones are such a fun way to talk about fossils. You can make them out of basic salt dough! Just mix together the following ingredients, and mix them together until smooth. You will have to knead it, after it is mixed, to get a smooth consistency. Once you have formed the dough into dino bone shapes, just bake them for 3 hours at 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup water
- While you are making salt dough, you can also use mini dinosaurs to press into flattened circles of dough to create your own dino fossils!
- For our older kids, checkout these Dinosaur Games on MIT’s website that are programmed by kids in Scratch. Don’t just play the games, also take a look inside the code of the games! How does it work? How would you make your own dino game or modify an existing one? Then, do it!!!
🥣 Dino Recipes
I love to incorporate recipes and fun food ideas into lesson plans! Here are a few fun (and yummy!) dinosaur recipes.
- Make your own edible, dinosaur eggs out of hardboiled eggs and food coloring! These look SO cool and easy, like the rainbow spaghetti we made the other day!!!
- Another fun idea is to make a fossil cake that you can dig into like a paleontologist. You will even make edible, white chocolate, dino bones, by using mini dinosaurs pressed into brown sugar to make chocolate molds. Super creative recipe!
📚 Free Dinosaur Reading Worksheets
Take your pick from these free dinosaur worksheets and reading materials!
- Kindergarten – 2nd Grades:
- Print and play this free dinosaur sight word game.
- Read this great dinosaur non-fiction passage and then practice your writing with the reading comprehension worksheets at the end.
- Read (and sing!) this fun song “What do Dinosaurs Eat?” to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.
- Learn about your parts of speech with this dino worksheet.
- 3rd – 5th Grades:
✏ Dinosaur Writing Prompts
- Kindergarten – 2nd Grade:
- 3rd – 5th Grade:
- Dinosaur Writing Prompt: imagine that you were a new reporter back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Write a news article about something that happened related to dinos today. What kind of dino does it involve? What did it do? Use your creativity!
- If you want a shorter activity, complete this dino worksheet to learn what a thesaurus is and to work on synonyms.
🧮 Dinosaur Math Worksheets
- Kindergarten – 2nd Grades:
- Play this free, printable dinosaur math subtraction game!
- Take your pick from this free, printable coloring squared worksheets!
- Practice your addition and subtraction (within 10) on this dinosaur number line workbook.
- Here are some more dino addition and subtraction worksheets that have the incentive of a funny dinosaur joke, if you get the math problems right!
- Try these dino-themed word problems!
- 3rd – 5th Grades:
🖌 Dinosaur Art Projects
- Art for Kids Hub has three fantastic art lessons for learning how to draw three different types of dinosaurs! Pick from the following options:
- Do you have a budding artist who wants to kick it up a notch? Checkout this incredible dino art project, complete with a sunset background!
- Have you been wondering what to do with all of the extra Amazon boxes around your house? Make this dinosaur craft out of cardboard!!!
- Make your own DIY dino egg soap here. Your kids may even bathe without complaining tonight!
🤸♀️ Dino Workout Exercise
Time to get our wiggles out with this Dinosaur Stomp dance by Koo Koo Kanga Roo!
And the most fun part… share a photo or video of your dinosaur science experiments, your dinosaur art projects, or any of your other fun activities on Facebook! Make sure to include a link to this website or to our Facebook Group and Facebook Page, so that we can see it too! I’ve purposefully added a lot of options for parents who need to keep their kiddos occupied for more time and to allow you to cater to your children’s preferences.
Leave a Reply