I love to give my kids open ended writing prompts, which is why so many of our Themed Lesson Plans contain fun writing prompts! My mind is always blown by their creativity! There are tons of awesome journals, like the One Question a Day for Kids: A Three-Year Journal to Create Your Own Personal Time Capsule, which my kids (and I!) love. At the end of three years, it is so fun to look back at how far their writing has come and it makes an awesome keepsake. A great way to encourage kids to complete daily writing prompts is by giving them a super fun journal. My daughters favorites are these color-change sequin journals and this unicorn journal, and my son can’t get enough of this outer space journal. Before we begin, don’t forget to join our Facebook Group and follow us on Pinterest, so you won’t miss out on any of our educational fun for kids!
Funny Writing Prompts for Kids
- What is the craziest thing that you can think of? Write a story making it completely normal!
- You just received a package from Amazon. You open it up and can’t stop laughing. What item did you receive? Write a review to post on Amazon about it.
- It is April Fools Day! What pranks will you pull and how will people respond?
- Create your own, ridiculous, funny holiday! Pick a name for it! What will you be celebrating? Come up with a list of crazy rules that make this holiday hilarious!
- You are going to create a reality TV show and are brainstorming ideas. What concepts do you have that will keep the audience laughing?
- Everywhere you can find “How To” articles… write a “How NOT To” article about something funny that you should not do.
- Checkout this list of wacky labels. Now come up with your own list of the wackiest labels you can think of.
Opinion Writing Prompts
- What are three places you would like to travel to someday and why? Do the places have anything in common?
- Imagine that you are in charge of the entire world. What would you do to make it a better place?
- If you could have three wishes, what would they be?
- What holiday do you love the most? Why?
- In the future, how do you think people will get from one place to another? Will cars, planes, buses and trains still exist?
- What do you love to do the most during summer vacation?
- What is the most disgusting food that you have ever tasted? Describe the food and explain why you did not like it. Would you ever be willing to try it again?
- What is your favorite movie of all time? Write a movie review and tell people why they should watch it!
- You are in charge of designing your school’s uniform. What will it look like? Which colors and material will you use? What articles of clothing will be required, and what will be optional?
- Name something that you are very good at. Write about this strength!
- Do you think it is important for people to have pets? Why or why not?
- Do you prefer to go to the zoo or to an amusement park? Why? What are your favorite activities to do?
- If you could learn anything over the next six months, what would it be and why?
- Should you keep every secret to yourself? Why or why not? What might be some examples where it is alright to break a secret? When should you absolutely keep a secret to yourself?
- Do thunderstorms scare you? Why or why not?
Picture Writing Prompts for Kids
For picture writing prompts, have your kids pick one of the following photos and write a story about it!
Why is the cat looking at the bird? Do you think they are friends? Will this story end well?
What are these kids doing? Where are they? Are they having fun?
How did this girl find the lion? Are they friends or did they just meet? Why are they hugging?
Story Writing Prompts
- A huge box was just dropped off by your front door. It has your name on it in bold letters. When you open the box, what is inside? Who is it from?
- One day you wake up and find that you have a mermaid tail. How does your life change?
- What would it be like to have a shark as a pet?
- While walking down the street, you find $100! What would you do with it?
- Imagine that you live on a boat all day and night. What would your life be like? In what ways would it be better or worse than your current lifestyle?
- Someone has stolen a flamingo from the zoo! You are the security guard in charge. What do you do? Are you able to find the flamingo, and if so, how?
- All of a sudden, it starts raining candy outside! What would you do? In what ways would that be fun, and in what ways might that cause problems for the world?
- What is your favorite fairy tale? Re-write the ending OR write what happens after the fairy tale!
- Write a story that includes these words: scientist, water bottle, hair brush and spaghetti.
- You are going to explore a rain forest! What will you bring with you? Who will you pick to go on the trip?
Creative Writing Story Prompts
- You just invented a brand new fruit. What does it look and taste like? What is it’s name? Is it poisonous or safe for people to eat?
- You now have the super power of invisibility! What will you do with it?
- While hiking in a forest, a tree suddenly starts talking. What does it say to you? How do you react?
- Your best friend just invented a time machine! What year will both of you travel to?
- What would you do if suddenly there was no electricity for the rest of your life? How would things change? What would you do to adapt?
- For your birthday, you received a magical sweater. What is magical about it and what do you do with these new powers?
- You are opening a store that only sells yellow items. What items will you sell? Which are best-sellers, and which items are people less interested in?
What is Your Kid’s Favorite Writing Prompt?
Drop a comment below with which writing prompt is your kid’s favorite (or if you came up with another awesome idea)! Also, make sure to share what a photo of what your kids write with our Facebook Group and Facebook Page, so that we can see it too! I can’t wait to see the creative stories that everyone makes!