My kids are OBSESSED with Harry Potter, so what could be more fun than a Harry Potter Lesson Plan for elementary school kids from kindergarten through 5th grade. We have found so much good stuff including Harry Potter science experiments, FREE math worksheets, read alouds, writing prompts, drawing lessons and Harry Potter-style exercise. There are even two bonus sections today: Harry Potter games and recipes! Because our kids deserve some extra fun!
If you have a Harry Potter lover, you definitely need to see this Harry Potter Origami Book and this HUGE Harry Potter Coloring Book! Definitely big wins in terms of keeping your children self-entertained for a couple of hours!!!
🧪 Science: Harry Potter Science Experiments
You will have so much fun doing these DIY Harry Potter science experiments for wizards:
- Learn how to make a levitating feather, a true Wingardium Leviosa science experiment: https://www.steampoweredfamily.com/activities/wingardium-leviosa-science-experiment-for-kids/
- Make your very own Harry Potter wand (that actually lights up!) to cast Lumox and Nox, and learn about how circuitry works: https://www.steampoweredfamily.com/activities/harry-potter-wands-stem-project/
Not up for a science project / experiment today? Don’t worry, you can still learn fun things about science and Harry Potter below!
- Learn about the hidden science found in Harry Potter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLj8T5vMSs4
- 3rd-5th Grade: Read even more detailed explanations of science from Harry Potter at this amazing NIH U.S. National Library of Medicine website: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/sciencemagicmedicine/index.html
🧮 Math: Harry Potter Math Worksheets
- Kindergarten – 2nd Grade: Practice your addition and subtraction facts while coloring these awesome Harry Potter worksheets:
- Subtraction Harry Potter Worksheet: https://www.coloringsquared.com/worksheet/harry-potter-subtraction-coloring/
- Subtraction Hermione Granger Worksheet: https://www.coloringsquared.com/worksheet/hermione-granger-subtraction/
- Addition Voldermort Worksheet: https://www.coloringsquared.com/worksheet/voldermort-addition/
- Have a child who isn’t quite ready for addition and subtraction? Then these Harry Potter coloring pages are perfect for working on number recognition.
- Harry Potter Number Coloring Page: https://www.coloringsquared.com/worksheet/harry-potter-color-by-number/
- Hermione Granger Number Coloring Page: https://www.coloringsquared.com/worksheet/hermione-granger-coloring/
- Hedwig Owl Number Coloring Page: https://www.coloringsquared.com/worksheet/hedwig-owl-coloring/
- Dumbledore Number Coloring Page: https://www.coloringsquared.com/worksheet/dumbledore-coloring/
- Grades 3-5: Did you know that Hermione’s favorite subject, Arithmancy Math, is actually not something J.K. Rowling invented? Arithmos is the Greek word for number and Mantela is another Greek word meaning divination. Decode this secret Harry Potter Arithmancy Code worksheets for a bit of a mental challenge https://teachbesideme.com/harry-potter-stem-arithmancy-math/
- These Harry Potter Math Worksheets are also better suited for our older kids, but include a fun board game and discuss converting Harry Potter currency, so we couldn’t leave it out: https://www.atm.org.uk/write/mediauploads/journals/mt180/non-member/atm-mt180-23-27.pdf
📚 Reading: Harry Potter Read Aloud
Of course there is nothing like reading the actual Harry Potter books! If you have not tried, then you should definitely start with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (which is currently FREE here on Kindle Unlimited). If your child is too young to read it alone, it is such a fun book to read together out loud. Here are some readings of Harry Potter to get you started:
- Listen to J.K Rowling read an excerpt from “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone:” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rck1pEVXqHo
- OR listen to Harry Potter’s book 1, chapter 1 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxIOvVQ9iPY&t=7s
✏ Writing: Harry Potter Writing Prompts & Worksheets
- All Grades – Use this writing worksheet to write what you would see if you looked into the Mirror of Erised, and illustrate it, if you would like: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Harry-Potter-The-Sorcerers-Stone-Mirror-of-Erised-Writing-FREEBIE-2371559
- 3rd-5th Grades – Take this Sorting Hat Quiz to figure out which house you would be in, then read about the different houses, and follow the writing-prompt to discuss if you think your assignment was correct or not: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Harry-Potter-Themed-Classroom-Sorting-Hat-Quiz-1012487
- For real Harry Potter experts, read these character riddles and see if you can solve them: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Harry-Potter-Character-Riddles-481759
🖌ART: Learn How to Draw Harry Potter
Learn how to draw a cartoon version of Harry Potter and Hedwig with Art for Kids Hub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNJqyHm95w0
🤸♀️Exercise: Harry Potter Yoga
Let’s calm our bodies and get a little movement in with Cosmic Kids Yoga Adventure of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-BS87NTV5I&vl=en
♟Harry Potter Games & Fun
- This incredible (FREE) Harry Potter Board Game, that “Handle With Joy” spent years perfecting, looks amazing: https://www.handlewithjoy.eu/home/mischief
- The Harry Potter Board Game is also available in Norsk, for anyone who is Norwegian: https://www.handlewithjoy.eu/no/ugagn/last-ned-spill/
- The Hogwarts Digital Escape Room is a great activity to do as a family: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSflNxNM0jzbZJjUqOcXkwhGTfii4CM_CA3kCxImbY8c3AABEA/viewform
- Harry Potter I Spy Printable Game for an extra activity that your child can do on their own: https://www.papertraildesign.com/free-printable-harry-potter-i-spy-game/
🥣 Harry Potter Recipes
Want to take the learning into the kitchen? Cooking with your kids is a fun way to see math come to life (hello, fractions!!) and is a great life skill to teach! There is even a Harry Potter Cookbook!!!
- Harry Potter Butterbeer Recipe: https://topsecretrecipes.com/foodhackerblog/harry-potter-butter-beer/
- Polyjuice Potion Smoothie Recipe: http://www.misskitchenwitch.com/blog/?p=1987
- Harry Potter Pumpkin Juice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f-rbize6hM
- Cauldron Cake Recipe: https://www.pastryaffair.com/blog/2011/7/12/cauldron-cakes.html
- Pumpkin Pasties, Treacle Tart (and Another Butterbeer Recipe): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcopjs4WenU
- Lemon Drop Candies Recipe: https://www.southernfatty.com/lemon-drop-candies/
And the most fun part… share a photo of your drawing of Harry Potter (or of any of the other fun activities) on Facebook! Make sure to include a link to this website or to our Facebook Group and Facebook Page, so that we can see it too! I’ve purposefully added a lot of options for parents who need to keep their kiddos occupied for more time and to allow you to cater to your children’s preferences.