Today our daily lesson plan is all about money and coins 💰! Learning about money is a practical skill that all of our kids need to have (I can still hear my mom asking me after buying something at a store, “Did you count the change?!”). But it is also a fun topic to explore by doing science experiments with coins and playing coin stacking race games! Before we begin, don’t forget to join our Facebook Group and “like” our Facebook Page, so you won’t miss out on any of our educational fun!
🔬 SCIENCE: Penny Cleaning Science Experiment & More Coin Science!
- Watch a few great videos to learn the following:
- How much each coin is worth?
- Fun facts about pennies!
- How oxidation of copper happens!
- Why the Statue of Liberty is green!
- AND learn how to run a fun penny experiment to clean pennies (complete with a lesson on making a hypothesis!)
- Here are the videos: http://www.clubscikidzmd.com/…/monday-3-16-clean-that-penny/
- Make a boat out of aluminum foil and see how many pennies it holds. Then try to improve upon your design to build the strongest boat that can hold the most pennies EVER! https://www.pbs.org/…/crafts-and-experi…/design-a-penny-boat
- Want to see something else fun? Checkout this dollar bill magic trick: https://kidsactivitiesblog.com/…/magic-tricks-for-kids-mone…
🧮 MATH: Penny (Coin) Stacking Race Challenge
Give your kiddos a large pile of pennies. They get one minute to stack the pennies neatly, one on top of the other. Whoever has the largest stack at the end of one minute is the winner (share a photo of your stack on Facebook with a link to this page, so that we see it!). Then, have your kids count how many pennies are in their stack. For kiddos who can count by 5s, 10s, 25s, let them stack other value coins and count them up!
📚 READING: Lemonade In Winter: A Book About Two Kids Counting Money
Listen (or read) the fabulous book, Lemonade in Winter: A Book About Two Kids Counting Money, about entrepreneurial kids counting money: https://youtu.be/5ODTiLvF-Zc
✏ WRITING: Money Writing Prompt
If you were going to make your very own business, what would you sell? Write as much or as little as you want, or draw a picture! Whatever is at your level! Maybe even write about it AND draw a picture!
🖌 ART: How to Draw Lemonade
Since our story above, Lemonade in Winter: A Book About Two Kids Counting Money, was about a lemonade stand (and the weather is slowly becoming lemonade season!), we are drawing a refreshing glass of lemonade https://youtu.be/r3DDO8n1NPY
🤸♀️ EXERCISE: Money Workout for Kids
Learn about money AND get some movement, with this awesome GoNoodle Getcha Money Right by Blazer Fresh!!! https://youtu.be/vMSAzl6V95M
And the most fun part… share a photo of your drawing or of any of the other activities on Facebook, along with a link back to this page or to our Facebook Group and Facebook Page, so that we can see it too! I’ve purposefully added a lot of options for parents who need to keep their kiddos occupied for more time and to allow you to cater to your children’s preferences!