OREO Balls Recipe: Easy for Kids
I love how much time I’ve had to cook with my kids lately, especially with our free cooking classes for kids! The cherry on top is that now they can make quite a few recipes all on their own. My 8-year-old daughter can make the most amazing Brazilian chocolate truffles pretty much by herself. If you haven’t made those yet, you NEED to learn How to Make Brigadeiros!!! However, my 6-year-old triplets are a little bit young to be trusted at the stove alone, so I was thrilled when I discovered this OREO Balls Recipe! You only need three ingredients (four if you count the optional sprinkles!) My kids made this entire recipe by themselves! My 8-year-old even did some of the photography!
How to Make OREO Balls
Yes, you literally only need three ingredients: cream cheese, a bag of crushed OREOs, and chocolate melts. Plus, if you want to be all fancy, you can add sprinkles as a fourth ingredient.
1. Soften cream cheese
Are you ready for how easy this is? Take your block of cream cheese and place it on the counter about 30 minutes before you start so that it softens and is easy for your kids to mix by hand!
2. Mix crushed OREOs & cream cheese
Place the bag of crushed OREOs (or you can crush a 16 oz of OREO Cookies) and your softened cream cheese in a large bowl.
Have your kids mix it until it is thoroughly combined.
4. Make OREO Balls
Next, your kids roll the mixture into small truffle balls. (Wash hands first, obviously!!!) Place the OREO balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Don’t mind the messy hair! We just got back from the pool!!!
5. Freeze the OREO Balls
Pop the cookie sheet into the freezer until the balls are cold and firm (at least 10 minutes, but they left it in for closer to 30 minutes because they got engrossed in an Audible story!!!)
6. Melt the chocolate or candy melts
Place a couple of handfuls of chocolate chips or chocolate melts in a bowl and microwave until fully melted. We used these chocolate melts because they are completely foolproof. The chocolate never seizes. It comes out perfect EVERY TIME!!! Plus, how fun would it be to coat the truffles in all of these fun colors that the candy melts come in?!
7. Dip the OREO Balls
Take the cookie sheet of OREO Balls out of the freezer. Dip the balls into the melted chocolate and add sprinkles on top (before the chocolate hardens.) Then, place the balls back onto the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
8. Let the chocolate set in the fridge
Repeat until you have made all the truffles! Then pop the cookie sheet into the fridge for 10 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
9. Enjoy! Store leftovers in the fridge
Store any leftovers in a closed container in the fridge. These are PERFECT for making in advance because they keep beautifully in the fridge.
Want to see what the inside of the OREO balls looks like? OMG…
OREO Balls RecipePin Recipe Print Recipe
- 1 pkg cream cheese, softened (8 oz)
- 4 cups crushed OREO Cookies
- 1 bag candy melts (or a bag of chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup sprinkles (OPTIONAL)
- Let the cream cheese sit at room temperature long enough to soften.
- Mix together the cream cheese and crushed OREO cookies.
- Form 48 OREO balls (roughly 1" each) and place each one on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Freeze the OREO balls for 10 minutes.
- Melt the candy melts or chocolate chips in a small bowl.
- Dip the OREO balls into the melted chocolate, and add sprinkles on top if desired. Place the balls back on the parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Place the OREO balls into the fridge for around an hour, or until they are firm.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge.
OREO Balls Recipe – How did yours turn out?
Don’t forget to let me know how the recipe turns out for you by posting a comment below or in our Facebook Group. I’d love to see a photo of your easy OREO balls!!!
Leave a Reply