Do you love cheesecake? Then you will LOVE this sweet noodle kugel recipe. We have always called it Grandma Mama’s Noodle Kugel and it is one of the most requested recipes at all of our family get-togethers! You can certainly serve this as a side dish, or even a main dish, but my kids also beg to have it for breakfast and even dessert.
It is pretty versatile, in that you can serve it warm (straight from the oven) or cold (which makes it even more reminiscent of cheesecake!). You can also add raisins, but we are anti-raisin around here. There is also a “healthier” version that my mom gave to me, when she gave me the original recipe, but I have never tried it. I included it anyway though, so if you try it, please let me know how it is! We love the “regular” one so much, that I can never get myself to try the alternative.
Trust me, this will become one of your more requested recipes.
Grandma Mama’s Sweet Noodle Kugel RecipePin Recipe Print Recipe
- ½ lb Egg Noodles (I prefer extra wide!)
- 4 Eggs
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ½ lb Small Curd Cottage Cheese
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1 lb Sour Cream
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 can (around 20 oz) Crushed Pineapple (drain the juice out)
Optional Noodle Kugel Topping
- 1 cup Cornflake Crumbs (crushed cornflakes)
- ¾ stick Butter
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Boil the noodles and drain, per the instructions on the package. Slightly under-cook the noodles (by a couple of minutes), since they will cook longer in the oven.
- Drain the noodles, but do NOT rinse them!!!
- Mix the eggs and sugar with a mixer (or hand mixer).
- Add in the cream cheese, sour cream, salt and vanilla, and mix well.
- Stir in the cottage cheese, drained pineapple and cooked egg noodles.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish.
- *OPTIONAL TOPPING* – Mix together the optional topping ingredients and sprinkle on top.
- If you skip the optional topping, just sprinkle some cinnamon and white sugar on top of the noodle kugel.
- Bake uncovered at 325 F for 60-90 minutes, or until cooked through.
Healthy Noodle Kugel Variation
- Replace the ingredients with 1/2 lb cooked egg noodles, 2 cups cottage cheese, 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup applesauce, 3 eggs, 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp softened margarine and 1 tsp salt. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sugar.