One of the very first books I ever bought for my kids was The Very Hungry Caterpillar! Did you know that a copy of the book is sold every 30 seconds?! Not surprising, because it is such a classic story! This Very Hungry Caterpillar Lesson Plan takes the book to the next level with fun science experiments (like making paper caterpillar races!), free printable math worksheets, and we will even be making our very own mini-version of the book! Before we begin, don’t forget to join our Facebook Group and “like” our Facebook Page, so you won’t miss out on any of our educational fun!
🧪 The Very Hungry Caterpillar Science Experiments
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a perfect fit for science projects! You can even watch caterpillars turn into butterflies with this amazing kit. While you wait for the lifecycle magic to happen, make Very Hungry Caterpillar Life Cycle Figurines!
There are also fantastic tutorials about how to make paper caterpillars (or worms) that you race by simply blowing air through a drinking straw. Make one (or a couple) of the ones below! Form a hypothesis: which do you think will be faster? Which one actually was the fastest? Experiment and see if you can come up with an even faster, better caterpillar! I can’t wait to see all of the things our kids come up with!
- Creased Caterpillar Races: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxEhFgJ-Bjk
- Paper Worm Racing using Pennies as Weights: http://www.thisishappystuff.com/?p=3168
📚 The Very Hungry Caterpillar Reading Worksheets
Read The Very Hungry Caterpillar, if you have it at home! If not, you can watch the author, Eric Carle, read it out loud here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkYmvxP0AJI
- After you have read the story, read and fill in the blanks on your very own mini-version of the book: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Very-Hungry-Caterpillar-FREEBIE-1080183
- Next, how about a super fun word search puzzle? (Depending on your child’s spelling skills, you may need to help write the words first) https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/A-Very-Hungry-Caterpillar-Word-Search-2173194
✏ The Very Hungry Caterpillar Parts-of-Speech Writing Worksheet
Let’s practice identifying nouns, verbs and adjectives using this fun The Very Hungry Caterpillar coloring worksheet: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Noun-Verb-Adjective-Word-Sort-Very-Hungry-Caterpillar-Autumn-Leaves-927813
🧮 The Very Hungry Caterpillar Math Worksheets
Keeping with the theme, try one (or all) of these The Very Hungry Caterpillar math worksheets!
- Practice your graphing skills with this Very Hungry Caterpillar worksheet: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Graphing-The-Very-Hungry-Caterpillar-167800
- Work on pattern skills with these free, printable Very Hungry Caterpillar Pattern Cards: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Very-Hungry-Caterpillar-Pattern-Cards-Free-722926
- For any toddlers / preschool siblings who are following along, checkout this Very Hungry Caterpillar Do-a-Dot Pack https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Very-Hungry-Caterpillar-Do-a-Dot-Pack-2584733
🖌 The Very Hungry Caterpillar Art Projects
Below are three great art projects, inspired by The Very Hungry Caterpillar!
- This project is really a combination of writing and art, but either way, it is great! Print out this worksheet to write about what you would eat if you were a hungry caterpillar… and draw a picture!!! https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Very-Hungry-Caterpillar-Writing-2415520
- Color an expanding caterpillar picture: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Very-Hungry-Caterpillar-Activity-4127936
- Another option that is popular, especially for our preschool and younger siblings who are following along, is to make a sequencing necklace that looks just like The Very Hungry Caterpillar! You know your little one will be wearing it all day long: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Very-Hungry-Caterpillar-SEQUENCING-necklace-4366405
And the most fun part… share a photo or video of your The Very Hungry Caterpillar science experiments, your caterpillar art (or of any of the other fun activities) on Facebook! Make sure to include a link to this website or to our Facebook Group and Facebook Page, so that we can see it too! I’ve purposefully added a lot of options for parents who need to keep their kiddos occupied for more time and to allow you to cater to your children’s preferences.
Leave a Reply